S Corp Ownership Change

I am currently working for my dad in his s corp but we need to transfer 50% of the shares to me since we will be operating as partners from now on. We want to keep the S Corp but I would be the CFO and he would be CEO. How would we do this officially since we also want to apply for a business credit card using my credit.


You need to visit a lawyer.

An S-Corp can have more than one owner, that's no problem. But your Dad will have to sell or assign part of his stock to you.

Visit a lawyer to have this drawn up for you.

On the books, you may simply reduce his ownership (owners equity account) and set up yours, or you may have a loan, or stock to deal with.

I'd have to know the specific transactions to help you make those accounting entries.

Hope that helps!


Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask the Expert!.