Getting started paying business expenses

by Joaquin

I just started my home inspection business. I paid for the classes and equipment needed to start the business on my personal credit card. How do I use the income from my business to pay that card back? Do I write myself a check and then pay it from my personal account or do I pay it straight from the business account? My business is an LLC, and right now I am the only employee.



I'm glad you found my site!

So you've paid business expenses with a personal credit card? This is something that a lot of small business owners do, especially just starting out.

I'm not sure what kind of accounting system you have right now, if any. But here's what you should do.

You need to have the business pay for those expenses, and you can do this 1 of 2 ways.

First option:

If you can pay the amount in full, write a business check to you for the full amount. You personally will then pay your credit card bill in full.

Post the payment in your check register, and break it out for what you've bought.

For example:

Education Expense......$50

Equipment........ ...$200

Cash in Checking..................$250

--To pay owner back for purchase of a class and equipment bought on a personal credit card.

Keep a copy of receipts and/or the card statement in your accounting files for this check.

Second Option:

If your business cannot yet pay you back in full, I would post this as an owner contribution, then pay yourself back as you can.

Post the 'contribution' as such:

Education Expense....$50


Owners Equity..................$250

--To record the owners contribution of training and equipment purchased personally.

Then, when you can make a payment, write a business check to yourself and post like this:

Owners Equity.........$75

Cash in Checking................$75

--To record payment to owner on purchase of supplies and equipment. $175 still due owner.

And that's it!

I hope this helps.


Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask the Expert!.